Wednesday 5 August 2009

Seaside Crafts

How much is that teddy in the window?I found this wonderful knitted creation in a craft store in Broadstairs. From the sandcastles to the sandwiches, this teddy bear's picnic is completely hand knitted. Apart from the local handiwork, Broadstairs is famous for being the home of Charles Dickens. The seaside town was absolutely enchanting. From the overgrown lavender outside his former home -
- to the Charles Dickens pub one block down with its red velvet cozy nooks and yummy steaming hot meat pies - - to the GIANT ice creams with Cadbury's flake chocolate bars -

I fell in love with the place. Around the crescent shaped beach, there's pastel painted beach huts, an old fashioned cinema along the seafront, and even a doll's hospital. This might not have been what inspired Mr. Dickens, but that and knitted teddy bears is certainly what inspires me.

photo from Wikipedia

Mr. Dickens was inspired by Bleak House for the title of his ninth novel about the failure of the British legal system. Dickens would spend at least a month a year in Broadstairs and even wrote David Copperfield here. I have heard murmurs that he even brought his mistress and established her in another house by the sea away from his wife. How did he have time to write all those novels?

Also quaint in Broadstairs is a shop selling doll's houses and furniture. This is in addition to the doll's hospital. They have very unusual doll's - including a miniature tramp. Who would want to include him in their doll's house scene? He even has a mini bottle of cider on his trolley. A bit scary for a child I would think.
As an end note, dear readers, may I ask please how many of you out there make cards and how many of you out there sew? If you sew, what may I ask so you usually make?

12 comments:

Lilacanglia said...

Hiya,
Broadstairs is a wonderful place,
I knit, crochet, cross stitch, and card making, and jewellery making.
Cant sew tho
Hugs
Angie

Merry said...

Great photos....what an amazing teddy bear picnic set. Sandcastle as well.

Tertia said...

I make cards, scrapbook, knit crochet, paint, do calligraphy and stained glass, I make porcelain dolls and I have been known to sew. I sew on paper, used to make all my childrens clothes when they were little and I was poor, now I just sew on special request. Recently made a bag for my youngest DD to use at Uni and smocked a dress for my granddaughter last Christmas.

Spyder said...

Another set of great photos!

I have left a little something on my blog for your blog

((Lyn))

Nannieflash said...

Hi Michele, what a fabulous blog today, love all the history on Broadstairs, thats one place I havent visited and Id love to after reading your blog. I love sewing (mainly alterations now), knitting, cross stitch, crochet, though not as good at that as I am at knitting. I have even made miniture teddy bears, though not for awhile. With love and hugs Shirleyxxxx

Spyder said...

I knew I shoulda puta link in, you can find your little something for your lovely blog
just here

((Lyn))

guru said...

The photos are great. I'm craving to go to beach right now. Anyways, BroadstAIRS is really the best when it comes to crochet, cross stitch and alike.

NYC Bride Guide said...

Nice work of art. Very simple and very astounding.

george clooney said...

Wonderful pictures!

Blog27999 said...

This is how my associate Wesley Virgin's autobiography starts with this shocking and controversial video.

As a matter of fact, Wesley was in the army-and soon after leaving-he unveiled hidden, "self mind control" secrets that the government and others used to obtain anything they want.

These are the exact same tactics tons of famous people (especially those who "became famous out of nothing") and elite business people used to become wealthy and famous.

You probably know how you use less than 10% of your brain.

Really, that's because the majority of your brain's power is UNTAPPED.

Maybe that thought has even taken place INSIDE OF YOUR very own brain... as it did in my good friend Wesley Virgin's brain about 7 years ago, while driving an unregistered, trash bucket of a car with a suspended license and with $3.20 on his debit card.

"I'm very frustrated with living paycheck to paycheck! When will I get my big break?"

You've been a part of those those questions, am I right?

Your success story is waiting to happen. Go and take a leap of faith in YOURSELF.

Watch Wesley Virgin's Video Now!

Unknown said...

Did you hear there is a 12 word sentence you can tell your crush... that will induce deep feelings of love and instinctual attraction to you buried within his chest?

That's because deep inside these 12 words is a "secret signal" that fuels a man's impulse to love, adore and protect you with his entire heart...

===> 12 Words Who Fuel A Man's Desire Instinct

This impulse is so hardwired into a man's mind that it will drive him to try better than ever before to do his best at looking after your relationship.

Matter of fact, fueling this mighty impulse is absolutely binding to having the best possible relationship with your man that the moment you send your man one of these "Secret Signals"...

...You will immediately find him expose his heart and soul for you in a way he never experienced before and he will identify you as the one and only woman in the galaxy who has ever truly tempted him.

Unknown said...

As reported by Stanford Medical, It is in fact the SINGLE reason this country's women get to live 10 years more and weigh an average of 19 KG lighter than we do.

(And actually, it has absolutely NOTHING to do with genetics or some secret exercise and absolutely EVERYTHING related to "HOW" they eat.)

BTW, What I said is "HOW", and not "WHAT"...

Tap this link to uncover if this short quiz can help you release your true weight loss possibility