Wednesday 28 January 2009

To buy or not to buy - the sewing machine

I need to vent about what's driving me crazy right now. On Saturday, I went to see a man about a sewing machine. The exact same model I grew up learning to sew on - a 1960's Singer. The shop owner said he had two and that he was going to get them ready and call me. Has he called? Nooooooo! You would think that in such bad economic times, shops would follow up with their customers. Now, I'm probably going to have to trek back there on Saturday and see if he will oblige me by showing me a machine. Or what the heck, maybe I'll just go buy new. I'm fighting against that because it's not linked to the happy days of sewing with my mother in the basement which we turned (the entire thing) into a sewing room. I wonder - is a new sewing machine better than a reliable old one?

4 comments:

Harbor Hon said...

Michele,

It's a quandry when it comes to choice. New means you have to learn how to work all the gizmos that you've never used before. An old reliable means just sit down and sew. So I guess the answer is, what do you want to do? Fancy or plain? xxoo

Anonymous said...

I would go back and beg. . .
I remember those days of sewing with my mom in the 60's. I would give anything to have that old reliable machine BUT NO I have a bright shiny Bertina that does things I don't think are legal here in the South! Half the time my tension is whacked and I just hate getting it one. Now that is just one woman's opinion.

Elenka said...

My kenmore is 34 years old, and I can't even imagine what thingamajigs new machines have that i don't have. i'm happy with the one I have.

michele said...

Thank you for all of your great comments. I just bought a third hand machine and am about to post photos of it. I am thr proud owner of a Singer 1966 Model 347 in powder blue and aqua marine.